From the construction of the Orion spacecraft to the oceanic recovery of Artemis missions enabling further exploration of deep space, this Lewistown, Montana based Woman-Owned Small Business has delivered more than one specialized work platform for use by NASA.
September 2, 2022. 10:00 AM Mountain Time – Lewistown, Montana – Spika Design & Manufacturing, Inc. (“Spika”), today announced that they are joining in the celebration of the launch of Artemis I with their intrepid team that has been designing and manufacturing safety work platforms for the aerospace industry since 2001, and, customizing several work platforms for the Artemis program since 2018.
- 2018: Spika Design & Manufacturing designed and built a custom Orion Capsule Access Platform to access the Orion Capsule Vehicle Hatch, under a contract with Artemis prime contractor Raytheon Company.
- 2019: Spika designed and manufactured a custom work platform to access the Orion Capsule Forward Bay, under a contract with Artemis prime contractor Raytheon Company.
- 2020: Spika designed and manufactured work stands in the Multi-Payload Processing Facility to access panels on the Orion Crew Module during servicing from the Service Module Level of the Servicing Stand. Spika’s specially engineered stands replaced the temporary scaffolding previously in use. This work platform was delivered under a contract with Artemis prime contractor Jacobs Technology.
- 2021: Spika designed and manufactured the Landing, Recovery Crew Egress Stand, which will be used in the open water recovery of Orion after splashdown in the Pacific Ocean. Spika engineers worked closely with the NASA team to select materials, analyze, and design a robust structure that can withstand the challenges of the ocean environment during recovery of the Orion spacecraft for Artemis II, the first crewed mission. The project was awarded under a contract with Jacobs, Artemis prime contractor at Kennedy Space Center for NASA’s Exploration Ground Systems.
- 2022: Spika designed a custom backup ladder for the recovery of astronauts aboard the Orion in the instance that a backup to the Landing, Recovery Crew Egress Stand is required. Spika manufactured two of these work platforms to meet the Artemis I timeline.
“We are truly honored and delighted that we have been able to participate in NASA’s preparations for the prestigious Artemis missions to enable human exploration to the Moon and Mars,” says Katie Spika, President & CEO, Spika Design & Manufacturing, Inc. “Spika brings over two decades of experience in designing and manufacturing customized work platforms and access equipment for projects that demand versatile and conforming access within strict environmental conditions. We are excited to take a moment to recognize and celebrate not only our team members at Spika Design & Manufacturing, but also NASA and the Artemis generation of explorers for such inspired work,” adds Spika.
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) is America’s civil space program and the global leader in space exploration. NASA conducts research, testing, and development to advance aeronautics, including electric propulsion and supersonic flight. They develop and fund space technologies that will enable future exploration and benefit life on Earth. NASA also leads a Moon to Mars exploration approach, working with partners in industry and academia, sending science research and soon humans to explore the Moon on Artemis missions that will help prepare for human exploration of Mars. In addition to those major missions, NASA shares its learnings to make life better for people worldwide.
About Spika Design & Manufacturing, Inc.: Forged in the ethos that put Americans on the moon, Spika Design & Manufacturing, Inc. is a design-led manufacturing company based in Lewistown, Montana. Driven by the timeless American values of quality, manufacturing ingenuity, and innovation, Spika was established in 2001 to develop unique ways to tackle a variety of complex access challenges in manufacturing, assembly, and MRO across industries. Spika Design and Manufacturing helps clients stay OSHA compliant and safe while working at varying heights and cantilevers. With a quality management system certified under AS9100D with ISO 9001:2015, Spika also designs for efficiency and improved throughput and for elegance that matches the professionalism of the global brands they serve in industries such as aerospace, defense, space exploration, mass transit, utilities, heavy manufacturing, and information technology infrastructure. The Small Business Administration recently conferred the WOSB status on Spika Design & Manufacturing. Learn more at https://spikamfg.com.
Media Contact: Bekhi Spika, Director of Sales & Marketing, Spika Design & Manufacturing, Inc.